Sunday, December 21, 2008

Hanging in There...

Brian continues to hang in there, showing his strength & commitment to recovering. This morning the nurses told us that he's been sleeping well without the need for as many sedatives. We also happened to be there when they changed his breathing tube, the nurse who did it was great, but it is such an uncomfortable process. It was a small thing to watch that gave huge witness to Brian's ability to work through the situation. He was calm & relaxed with evident resistance & determination not to fight it.

He's continuing to be responsive to certain stories in his Brian Keeter way with those eyebrows & openings of the "Keeter eyes," but he's definitely tired. There's a short little book I love, Harvest, filled with stories of men facing tragedies, both as a result of their own vices or of being left to cope with devastating events, who found the Lord & their lives were transformed. One particular pastor in the book, Raul Ries, has an intense story definitely worth checking out (this is the one I told him a little about that really raised those eyebrows). I know that God is at work in a transformation of magnitudes for Brian & many of those around him as well.

The healing he is working on takes a substantial amount of energy & the "pizza in a can" the nurses give him through the feeding tube is only meant to sustain the average calorie load. Imagine the savor that first meal will have when he's finally able to eat his real first meal--I wonder what he'll want it to be, steak or Columbian home-cooking? ;)

He continues to find relaxation in quiet visits, particularly with his girlfriend & when being read to from the Bible. We're on John 11 last I checked. The monitors show a visible decrease in his heart rate & blood pressure most during these times. So feel free to pick up where we left off if you stop by!

They anticipate taking him into surgery tomorrow morning for his ankle, the surgeon was in the OR all day today so my parents are unsure if they will be able to meet with him before the procedure. Though initially they hoped for more stability before addressing the break, the orthopedic surgeon got clearance to move forward. They also continue to monitor his lungs & the drainage of fluid from his abdomen, speculating they may need to go back in an investigate the abdomen & perhaps perform a tracheotomy. We'll know more next week.

Visitors remain welcome though, again, the sessions must remain small & low-key. With these ongoing expected unexpected setbacks, we can never guarantee when he'll be able to have visitors and when not but at this point we'll leave it up to your personal discretion & schedule especially with Christmas this week, as the nurses have been feeling comfortable with the way it has been going the past few days. We know no matter when you come (& there will be so many times the next few months when your presence will be needed) that you continue praying and thinking of him & his family.

Again, we are so thankful for God's work through you all in the small (& some times HUGE miracles, church prayer lists, church leader visits; the generous contributions in so many needed ways are indescribably appreciated.

My father's helping us all remember our new mantra:
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, & lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, & He shall direct your paths (Proverbs 3:5-6).

We have so much to be thankful for as a family this Christmas!

8 comments:

  1. The story about Raul Ries is amazing Kara, and I agree it is worth everyone reading. I know God has something great in store for you Brian...you are meant to do great things. You have already touched so many lives. I'm glad it seems you have been getting much needed rest the past few days. I'll be coming back after Christmas to visit you again. Love you!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian,

    The sermon in church this morning was from Romans, chapter 5: But we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perserverance produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character builds our confident expectation of salvation.

    Seeems they were speaking about you, and I know that you will persevre and endure, and you will come out of this orderal a better, stronger Brian Keeter. Praying for you and I know there are big plans for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another member of Wolfpack Nation here monitoring this blog and praying for Brian's continued recovery. Can you give us more information about the extent of Brian's injuries?

    ReplyDelete
  4. brian -

    travis here. I just wanted you to know that I have been thinking about you and praying for you. will has been keeping me in the loop. also thought you might want to know that my girlfriend and I got engaged this weekend in NYC...you met her at the Wake Forest game and she sends her thoughts as well.

    hang in there.

    travis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there Brian! I hope you have a restful and peaceful night tonight. I pray that your ankle surgery goes well tomorrow, I'm sure it will. I am truly amazed by your strength through everything you've endured. Seems like such a minor procedure compared to everything else you've been through up to this point- but I know its not. I remember all the wonderful things you did for me after my ankle surgery. You made things easier on me and I hope to be able to return the favor, now and in the months to come. I am here for you always!

    Love,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Brian,
    Just wanted to let you know the Volpe clan is thinking and praying for you and the family.

    We're in UT for a few more days. Travis & Sara's wedding went great yesterday, even if it was only about 28 degrees when they were outside taking pictures.

    Keep up the fight!

    Love,
    Bob & Tiffin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Because of the tender mercy of our God, by which the rising sun will come to us from heavento shine on those living in DARKNESS and in the shadow of death, to guide our FEET into the path of peace (LUKE1:78-79)

    I LOVE YOU BRIAN ALAN XOXO! YOU STILL ARE THE BEST BROTHER A SISTER COULD ASK FOR....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brian - I just wanted to let you know that I've been thinking about you and saying a lot of little prayers throughout each day for you. I hope they'll be able to go through with your ankle surgery tomorrow so that you can continue to move in the right direction towards recovery. You can do this!!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete