After speaking again with the trauma team late last night, they have decided to postpone today's ankle surgery due to the fragile state of Brian's lungs.
The pneumonia continues to put a lot of stress of his breathing & though a fever of less than 101.5 is a sign of healing, Brian's continues to run around or above this due to the energy it takes to fight the pneumonia & the fact that energy is taken away from the general healing process. For those new to the blog, Brian's left lung was collapsed & the right was almost the same. There's been a lot of fluid build up to be drained, the pneumonia only adding more.
Again, we're sort of in a holding pattern right now, praying for patience & trust in the recovery process. We know he's in good hands & staff are keeping a close eye on things but I'm not going to lie--if only this stupid pneumonia would get out of the way!
I'm told he slept okay last night but did show some agitation...
Once again, where this means he'll end up with regard to the other injuries, namely the stress put on his spinal cord where his back was broken & the titanium rod inserted to decompress the spine, will have to wait until the more immediate concern of the lungs are stronger.
Will keep you posted & appreciate so much the outpouring of love & assistance across the country on his behalf.