Sunday, December 28, 2014

New Years Update 2015

Hate to admit it but it has been since April since I wrote an update on my blog!

I have been pretty busy with things. In addition to still working away at therapy and working part-time in Medical Sales I enrolled in graduate school a few months ago. I had been thinking for quite a long time that with all I have been through and all I have learned that pursuing work on the business side of healthcare would make a lot of sense.

It took me a little while to commit to school since I wanted to be certain I was ready to get back into "school mode."  Finding a school with a good reputation that fit my schedule and did not cost an insane amount also was not the easiest task.

Unfortunately my trip to Louisville continues to be delayed for delays with FDA approval. I do not fully understand exactly what that means so I will not attempt to explain it, but as you can imagine it has been terribly frustrating. It is something I am still excited about but I really thought I would have gone by now. I really hope it will happen in the first quarter of 2015. I want to say that it has something to do with proving the therapy is safe but since it is something I have personally done and not a radical or truly new technology, I just do not get these delays.

This eventual trip to Louisville had me reluctant to commit to any school that would require significant on campus time so I decided to go the online route. Most schools do programs totally online these days, including state schools like NC State but I wanted to attend a school that does the majority of its programs on campus. I ended up being accepted into and enrolling in a Masters of Healthcare Administration program at Letourneau University in Longview, Texas. It wasn’t by design but I find it pretty funny to be in school in my birth state and about two hours or so east of the Dallas/Fort Worth area where I was born. It is a small non-denominational Christian school with under 3,000 students and they compete at the smallest level of athletics NCAA Division III.
It has been quite a different experience being in school for something you actually have an interest in. I did have a lot of fun and enjoy my time in undergrad at NC State but was mostly there in an attempt to play basketball and had no idea what I wanted to do after I graduated. My classes consist of a lot of reading, writing papers and timed exams online. While a lot of my classmates have years of healthcare work experience to help them in assignments, I often rely on my experience from my injury and accident.  The program will take me 18 months or so to complete. I just finished up my first semester and got A’s in both classes, so I am off to a good start!

I am on a break from class until January 12th, and am enjoying my time off and Christmas at home with the family.  I want to wish everyone a Happy Holidays and New Year and hope to get back on track with some more frequent updates on the blog in 2015!!

2 comments:

  1. I understand how not being able to play frustrates you. But I’m sure the therapy you’re going through will all be worth it. Anyway, it’s great that you’re doing pretty well in your class. Thanks for sharing this with us, and keep up the good work!


    David Lewis @ Colorado Center of Orthopaedic Excellence

    ReplyDelete