Sunday, April 17, 2011

Set Back

Unfortunately, I have hit a setback here in Atlanta. A couple of weekends ago my left knee was swollen and throbbing. Like usual I assumed it was not a big deal and figured it would just go away. Unfortunately it was still about the same Monday morning as I went to therapy at Shepherd and since I knew I could not hide the swelled appearance I brought it up to the therapist and after 9 hours of fun in ER I learned I had broken the femur in my left leg. How this happened I have no idea. I did not fall or or have a moment of extreme stress on my leg that I remember. After follow up with an orthopedist I got confirmation of the fracture and also learned I had a previous fracture located near the new one that I never knew about that but had already healed. I did take more of a beating in my accident on the left side so maybe it is a little more susceptible to injury.

All I know is that I am not allowed to put any weight on it for 30 days and that it will probably take 3-4 months to heal, I am wearing a pretty big brace on my left leg to stabilize it. As if my mobility was not challenged enough I guess I decided to add a fractured leg to the mix (see lovely picture below). So, right now I am just trying to collect my thoughts and figure out what to do in terms of rehabbing my newly fractured leg and getting back to my recovery efforts. I knew that this journey is and full of ups and down but this is definitely frustrating. I would say that most people with spinal cord injuries have some secondary issues and I know that I continue to have more then my fair share but I will get through it.

Thanks again for all your interest and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment